Skip to content

What should I do if I am injured at work or have sustained a work-related injury?

If you are injured at work or have a work-related injury or illness, you should seek medical attention as soon as possible. You have the right to attend your own treating doctor.

Report the incident to your employer as soon as possible and complete an incident report if you are able to.

When attending your doctor be sure to:

  • explain the circumstances of how you were injured; and

  • the connection with your work.

If the doctor diagnoses a workplace injury or illness, the doctor should issue a Workers’ Compensation Regulator Medical Certificate.

The doctor should note their opinion of the relationship between your employment and your injury on the certificate.

If your doctor thinks your injury has happened over a period of time from a specific task you perform, this should be recorded on the certificate.